Monday, March 2, 2009

A list in celebration of civility

Dearest cherubs:

Those familiar with my writings, will know that occasionally I post a list. Here's my first "blog" list.

I am from the age of civility. And so for me, to see a president who is civil on the evening news, no matter how huge the severity of the thing he is addressing, is enormously comforting.

We have debate, we have opposing views. But there is no need for us to brow beat one another.

I went to a party this weekend and I had a really wonderful time. I am grateful to the person who threw this party, because good times are few and far between these days. There was lashings of civil behavior everywhere.

I am a fan of politeness. Did you know that in the theatre, if you are in the way of a stage hand, he doesn't say "get the hell out of my way" (at least the good ones don't) . Do you know what he/she says? He says "clear please". Can we not at least practice this simple kindness to one another?

I used to be a stage manager (I've done most everything in the theatre) and when I was the most stressed, I was the most polite. "Ladies and gentleman, this is your 15 minute call". And I would get back the most polite response from the people even more stressed than I was. "Thank you 15".

Today my boss and I met about something that I was proposing. He disagreed with me. I pushed my patience button. I tried to listen. I heard what he had to say. He had some good points. I had some good points. I don't know what will happen, but it pleased me.

Civility pleases me. Because it means that we are listening to one another.

Let us, dearest cherubs, listen.

Warmly, and with love, Margaret

3 comments:

  1. civility...yes .. had a very trying day friday with my boss and civility won the day..made me the sane one...there is never a reason to debase oneself..civility gave me the edge..

    ReplyDelete
  2. Civility makes us feel better and causes us to step back for just an instant and see things in a different light. we don't necessarily agree with that light, but we see it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just read through your blog and I support anybody who uses "Jeepers" correctly in a sentence. Jeepers! I hope you keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete