Wednesday, July 13, 2011

An unusual positive childhood memory

Hi cherubs:

Sorry for the long time between posts. Most of my childhood memories are pretty horrible. But there is one that is not. Perhaps it's not the only one, but it's one that I was reminded of tonight. I was watching a program about solar winds and I was reminded about the blackout that occured in the 1960s, which I believe was caused by solar activity interfering with power grids.

The entire eastern seaboard of the US was knocked out, not to mention Canada. So I came home from school, and I did my homework by candle light (the teachers gave us extra credit for that, by the way). Then, my mother began to play the piano. She had all the old songbooks that had the folk tunes (What shall we do with the drunken sailer etc) and we were all there around the piano, singing our hearts out. We hardly noticed the blackout. The neighbors were there and we were there and we were playing and singing. It's a wonderful memory. I remember my brother John next to me singing (my brother Tony was not yet born) and I remember the candles and I remember that we had cooked dinner for many people because we had a gas stove and others had only electric.

Mom played and played. We sang and sang. It was great fun. It's one of the few happy memories I have. I am grateful, so grateful for that memory.

Best wishes dearest cherubs.

No comments:

Post a Comment