Monday, January 4, 2010

The obligatory physically challenged post -- coping with a broken ankle

Precious Cherubs:

Ok, so most of you know by now that I am the victim of black ice, which is not as nice as being the "victim" of black gold, "oil that is, black gold, Texas tea". Fifteen points to all who can sing the complete Beverly Hillbillies song. Nevermind, I win.

So I am past the surgery which involved plates and screws. And I am rediscovering my life. I have temporarily lost my independence. It occurs to me that I never really had it, that it was, perhaps, an illusion -- not my life, but my independence.

You have to figure out the following:

How to move (back and forth and up and down)
How to bathe
How to eat
How to drink
How to keep your clothes clean

There are many more sub-catigories that fall under those larger catigories. And all of them have to be rediscovered.

I have become grateful to many people, namely, my roommate, my daughter, my brother, and my friends, yes, in that order.

My roommate was a "first responder". He picked me up at the ER. He made the most profound statement of my life. He said the following: "Margaret, I can clean the house, cook the meals, wash the clothes and take care of you. In return, I ask only that you don't cry". I love you Tom DiFrancia.

My daughter was the "immediate care giver". She said the following: "Mum, you took care of me for many years, including the time that both my wrists were broken. Think of this as payback time". And she drove the car and took me to the doctors, to my testing, to the hospital at that ungodly hour, and she waited while I had my surgery. Then, and only then, did she venture home to her New Year's eve party. I love you Lydia.

My brother John was what he has always been, the "guy who picks up the pieces". He showed up at the hospital after I had my surgery and I opened my drug laden eyes to his smiling face. He looked like an angel to me. He offered to bring me home from the hospital on Thursday, after he had worked many long hours. Lucky for him and for me, my roommate's work schedule was changed and he was able to pick me up earlier. I love you John.

My friend Margaret came to make my bed at home and brought me books and stayed to discuss poetry with me. My friend Marcia brought me goodies from the grocery store and trashy magazines and stayed to talk with me in the middle of a busy day. My Facebook, Tagged and Yahoo friends left encouraging messages. My friends Patt, Jan, and Molly and my brother Tony, all called. I am one lucky woman.

I am not a believer in fate. I am not a believer in love. I am not a believer in God. But somehow it would seem many things wound themselves together during these last couple of weeks to make one accident that might have been unbearable, bearable.

I often tell people that what they deposit in the karma bank, comes back to them. Now I know, it's true.

Happy New Year, dearest cherubs.

2 comments:

  1. OMG! Margaret - when and how (beyond "black ice" - and I swear I could give you a run for your money on the theme song to the the Beverly Hillbillies) did this happen? I hope you're not in too much pain. I'm glad there were people who could take care of you! How long before you're up and walking again? Yikes! Get well soon! ~~Johdie

    ReplyDelete
  2. come and listen to my story bout a man named Jed..a poor mountainneer barely kept his family fed...o.k. I guess you get the picture...hehe...yep my friend, something as simple as having to walk up those damed stairs one more time because you forgot something up there ...soon becomes your goal and once accomplished...your joy! the up side of all this..proof positive that you are postively loved by many, many people...so there ! love ya, sandi

    ReplyDelete